Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Relieving Stress As A Stay At Home Mom

As moms we all need to find ways to relieve stress in our busy, hectic lives but as stay at home moms we sometimes face different challenges. We are around our children 24 hours a day, we are always on call as I like to say! It definitely has its benefits but today I want to talk about its draw backs and how we can manage our stress as stay at home moms.
Some days start out amazing and just fall apart slowly and some days just start out crazy and never stop!
Don’t get me wrong there are plenty of good moments and those are what carry me through my days but they are only just moments, rarely an entire day. Being with our children day in and day out finds most of us stressed to our max and when the hubby finally gets home we are a hot mess! Usually throwing our children at them and saying “you need to take him, I am going crazy”!
What if we were to find little ways, little moments throughout our day to relieve that built up stress so when our husbands come home we are mostly calm and happy to see HIM not relieved because it is someone to take the kids for us? I don’t know about you but I am so grateful to my husband for working so hard every day to support our family so I can do what we feel is best by me staying home with the children. I don’t want him thinking I hate what I do and can’t wait for them all to go to school, because I really don’t feel that way I just have moments. Well I want to share with you a few of the ways I find time in my day to unwind, de-stress, and recover from the craziness of my dear children! Sometimes it is only a moment, or 5-10 minutes but let me tell you sometimes that is all it takes to get you back on track.
  • If you are going nuts and just need to take a shower or just breathe for a few minutes take your infant or toddler and put them in their crib with a few toys and books, turn on some music for them and let them play while you shower, get dressed, empty the dishwasher alone, switch the laundry………whatever it is you need to do without help for 10-15 minutes. This is what I always did with all three of my kids so I could take a shower alone everyday. I started at a young age and they never complained but if they are older and not used to doing it just kindly explain to them what you are doing and just go and do it. Even if they fuss and cry, as long as you know they are in a safe place for a short time it won’t hurt them, they will eventually get used to it and it truly will be relaxing. If they are no longer in a crib, gate them in their room, just make sure it is safe.
  • Have someone you can call! This has always been huge for me! A friend, your mom, your sister, your husband, although for me a female is usually a better option as they understand us a little better. We do not need to do this alone, lean on your family and friends! A support system is key, in my opinion, to surviving motherhood. Even a 5 minute conversation with another adult can leave you feeling calmer, give it a try, make time for you!
  • Take a bath. Put the kids to bed have your hubby be on call for a little while and go take a hot bath and relax. I like to turn on some relaxing music so if the kids are having trouble sleeping I don’t have to hear everything that is going on. Just let go and let dad take control for a little while. This may be something that only happens once a week but put it on the schedule and take some time for you!
Bath2
  • My last tip is just something I enjoy and helps me relax at the most stressful time of the day for me. Have a glass of wine. I enjoy a glass when I am preparing dinner some nights. I don’t know what it is but it calms me, and no it is not because I am getting drunk Smile I only have a small amount, I still need to function at tip top shape for several hours yet. 
Wine2
As busy moms we always put everyone and everything else before us. Find what works for you and take a few minutes each day to put your well being first. We cannot be good wives, mothers, or people if we don’t take time for us. Everyone around you will appreciate this not look down on you for thinking of you! Be kind to yourself, you deserve it!
I would love to hear from you! What do you do to de-stress? How will these tips help you be a better mom? Comment below!
~Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment