Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Christmas Cookies

 

If you are anything like me as Christmas is drawing near I am on the hunt for some new Christmas cookie recipes. I have my family favorites that have been made since I as little but this year I was in search of something new and something fairly easy since I am pretty busy. Do you have a go to person in your family if you need cooking advise or a new recipe? Well I do! That go to person for me is my dear older sister. She always knows how to cook anything and everything and always has great recipes. So she was the first person I called when I wanted a few new recipes for a cookie exchange I had signed up for. So both of the recipes I am going to share with you I had never made before, but let me tell you they are both incredible and fairly easy!

Cake Batter Cookies

2 Tablespoons milk

3/4 cup butter

3/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup sugar

1 (3.4oz) box vanilla instant pudding

3/4 cup yellow cake mix

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 teaspoon baking soda

2 1/2 cups flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

colored sprinkles

I used red and green for Christmas.

You don’t want to use sugar crystals, use either the little beads/balls or even the jimmies I think they are called.

I made two batches and used both kinds and they worked equally well.

Preheat oven to 350*

Mix: flour, salt, and baking soda.

Cream: butter and sugars.

Add: pudding and cake mix.

Add: eggs and vanilla.

Add: flour mixture and sprinkles.

Roll into 1” balls and place on a greased cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.

I used my Pampered Chef cookie dough baller to make nice even cookies.

2012-12-05_11-26-09_468 

Also I always bake things in my oven for several minutes less than a recipe calls for, it may be my oven but I think I only cooked them for 8 minutes.

We also prefer our cookies soft, not crispy.

2012-12-02_08-01-08_203 

 

These were my favorite of the two, they taste just like brownies!

Chocolate Crinkles

1/2 cup vegetable oil

4oz unsweetened baking chocolate, melted and cooled (melting in the microwave works best)

2 cups sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla

4 eggs

2 cups flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup powdered sugar, for rolling the balls in. I used quite a bit more than a 1/2 cup though.

Mix: oil, chocolate, sugar, and vanilla.

Stir in eggs one at a time.

Chill dough for a couple hours or even over night. You want the dough to be think and able to roll into balls.

After chilled, roll into balls and and drop into powdered sugar until covered.

Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake 10-12 minutes in a 350* oven.

I wanted then soft and chewy so I think I only baked them for 10 minutes and they came out perfect.

Take off cookie sheet immediately and place on a cooling rack.

2012-12-02_17-46-45_553

I sure hope you enjoy these two recipes, I would love to hear what you think of them.

Head over to my Facebook page and introduce yourself and let me know what you think!

Have a wonderful time preparing for this most beautiful holiday season!

Bonnie

10 comments:

  1. These look delicious! Thank you for linking up and thank you for sharing!These cookies are definitely a must try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. those cookies sound great. i'm looking for fun recipes to take to a cookie exchange, and I'll "test" the chocolate crinkles this weekend to make sure they are good ;-)
    i found your blog through Parlo & Logi's link up.

    Melanie
    http://violetsbuds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. chocolate crinkles bring back some of the best childhood memories for me! thanks for the smile.

    hope you will find a moment to stop by and enter a giveaway i am hosting for followers (i hope you win!):
    http://hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com/2012/12/personalized-lovely-giveaway.html

    happy weekend to you!

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  4. we love chewy soft cookies
    as well
    and these look yummy

    have you linked them up
    at my Christmas Cookie Exchange yet?

    thanks for sharing
    at Fridays Unfolded!

    {alison}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Bonnie! I nominated you for the Liebster Award! If you go on over to my page there are more details there!

    http://appleofmamaseye.blogspot.com/2012/12/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home and have a Merry Christmas!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad to hear that you like these recipes or that they bring back memories! For me they are a new recipe this year but will be a must from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm those chocolate cookies look DELICIOUS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those both look amazingly yummy! I hope you'll share this post at our Holiday Cookie Recipe Swap at http://thedomesticatedprincess.blogspot.com/2012/12/holiday-cookie-recipe-swap-week-4.html.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look great. I am going to be featuring it tomorrow night at my Winter Blues Wednesday party (Fall into Fall). The party will be opening Wednesday at 12:01am instead of Tuesday night at 8pm EST because I am participating in the blogger day of silence tomorrow. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete