Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Our Most Loved Christmas Stories

Every year as we prepare for Christmas some our favorite traditions like so many people is to decorate the tree, put up the nativity scene, and open all the decorations. It really never gets old getting everything out and putting it up, although I have learned how to make that whole process easier for me. In years past the more children I have had the harder it has been to get excited about putting up all the decorations. Don’t get me wrong, I love Christmas and I love getting ready and celebrating with my family. I just get weighed down by the burden of “stuff” everywhere. I can only handle it for so long and then I want my house back to normal. So last year I decided I wasn’t going to make it a burden, I was going to love it and the way I did that was not haul up bin after bin of Christmas decorations, I was just going to bring up what made us all happy. My home was very festive and is again this year but there isn’t stuff everywhere! I know some people LOVE that but not me for some reason. Maybe later in the week or next I can share how I have decorated, now that I have you all curious. Smile But one thing has stayed the same despite the changes I have made and that is our Christmas story collection which seems to grow and grow each year. Even though it adds some unwanted clutter, all the books come up no matter what and though I cannot share them all with you I want to share some of our very favorites! Out of our 40 some and growing collection I have chosen our 13 favorites!

In no particular order here they are! This first one is a new one purchased this year and was one my mom read to me and my siblings growing up. I was looking for it last year on a few different websites and found it but because the book is out of print it runs $30-$50! Crazy I know! But lucky for me I found it just the other day when I was rummaging through the Christmas books at Goodwill. I found it in almost perfect condition for $1.99! So keep your eyes out for it, you won’t regret it.

Santa and the Christ Child by Nicholas Bakewell

Santa and the Christ Child

Each of my three younger children have received a book for their very first Christmas’. This next one was given to my daughter Adelaide.

Mouse’s First Christmas by Lauren Thompson

Mouses 1st Xmas

This one was given to my son Colton for his first Christmas.

Bear’s First Christmas by Robert Kinerk

Bears 1st Xmas

And this one was for our youngest son Leon’s first Christmas.

The Spirit of Christmas by Nancy Tillman

The Spirit of Xmas

This next book we have had since Adelaide was very young and we have read it from cover to cover every single year and the kids never get sick of it. It is really a cute book, it is all about Santa and how everything works in the North Pole and it gives you a lot of Santa’s secrets as to how he makes Christmas work. It explains a lot of the questions kids have about “How does Santa do this and do that”.

Santa Clause by Rod Green

Santa Clause

Here is a book that was mine as a little kid and always loved, it is short but sweet.

Claude the Dog, A Christmas Story by Dick Gackenbach

Claude the dog

Here is one that is more of a winter story but cute.

Skating with the Bears by Andrew Breakspeare

Skating with the Bears

Here is a silly one that is about what our snowmen may be doing while we are sleeping.

Snowmen at Night by Caralyn Buehner

Snowmen At Night

This story is so beautiful I think we read it a dozen times each year. It is about a Christmas tree at a tree farm who is too large to be chosen anymore and how all the woodland animals decorate him to show him how special he is to them all year long.

A Wish to be a Christmas Tree by Coleen Monroe

A wish to be a Xmas Tree

This is a really sweet nativity story.

The Crippled Lamb by Max Lucado

The Crippled Lamb

Here is a sweet little story about a mouse and his first Christmas and first snow.

The Very Snowy Christmas by  Diane Hendry

The Very Snowy Xmas

This is another book I was always read growing up. It is a really sweet story and has beautiful pictures.

The Donkey’s Dream by Barbara Helen Berger

Donkey Dream 

And last but not least!

How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss

Grinch

I hope you have enjoyed going through our family’s list of favorite Christmas stories, I hope there are even a few you haven’t read yet and will add to your family’s collection!

Merry Christmas from my family to yours!

~Bonnie

Other fun posts from Bonnie

Christmas Cookies

Finding Christmas Spirit

The Gift of Snow

20 Best Children’s Books

Also find me on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment